Sorry I havn’t been posting much, it’s been a manic few days!! I have finally started writing up my dissertation (EEK!). After months of researching I am finally taking the plunge and putting finger tips to key board!
Starting with a introduction chapter about the background of sustainability, I thought I would share with you a couple of key points and quotes from my work. Feel free to leave a comment with any suggestions or criticisms (constructive only please!!) Read more!
- Sustainability is a macro factor that affects global industries and will continue to impact on the worlds economies
- It is a fair assumption that “if the present growth trends in the world population, industrialisation, pollution, food production, and resource depletion continue unchanged, the limits of growth on this planet will be reached sometime within the next one hundred years.” (Meadows, D et al ; McDonough,William 2002)
- According to the Cooperative Bank, “The rise of the ethical consumer was a significant phenomenon of the 1990s, driven by issues such as child labour and the controversy over genetically modified organisms.” (Cowe, R., Williams,S;2000: Online).
- Despite the global clothing industry being worth over £500 billion, fashion “has a significant environmental and social footprint across its supply chain which is exacerbated by high consumption levels, in particular in the developed world.” (Defra; 2010; online).
- Fashion consumers are becoming increasingly influenced by sustainable fashion practice as the ethical fashion market expands yearly.
- With regards to the fashion industry, sustainable solutions are at the forefront of current affairs.
what do you think?x